Complete two of the following:
Complete two of the following:
- College Report. Student must complete a College Report that compares and contrasts three colleges of consideration. A completed Excel report must be included in the student portfolio. Guidelines for the report are available in the link below. The link just beneath the College Report will allow you to download and use an Excel template for the college report. List the colleges to be compared horizontally and the data points vertically. Students may find the College Navigator website as well as individual college and university websites helpful as they gather data to compete the college report.
- Formal College Campus Visit & One Virtual Tour. Student must schedule and attend a formal campus visit at the college of their choice. Various campus visit opportunities are available and can usually be explored by visiting an institution’s website. Examples of opportunities available at some local institutions are posted at the links below. Students will use the College Visit Document to gather information during their visit and include the report in the student portfolio.
Utah Valley University
Brigham Young University
- Attend College Day. Student must attend College Day at WJHS and include a completed College Day Proof of Attendance and Participation form (below) in the student portfolio.
|File Size:||332 kb|
- Apply for Post-High School Job Training Opportunity. Student applies for post-high school job training with an institution such as Hunt Electric, Paul Mitchell, Parsons Cement, or the like. A copy of the application must be included in the student portfolio.
Complete three of the following:
Complete three of the following:
- Letter of Recommendation. Student will obtain at least one letter of recommendation for use on scholarship and/or college admissions applications. Student will use the WJHS “College & Scholarship Recommendation Form” available from the link below to obtain their letter of recommendation. A copy of the letter of recommendation must be included in the student portfolio.
|File Size:||353 kb|
- College Essay / Writing Sample. Student will write and include a college admissions essay in their student portfolio. The CollegeBoard has essay writing tips and sample essays.
- Financial Aid Seminar Attendance. Student attends a seminar, conference, or night focusing on financial aid. Student must have the host of the event sign the Student Portfolio Tracking Sheet and the Financial Aid Seminar Attendance Certificate (below). WJHS hosts a Money for College Night/FAFSA Completion Night that would qualify as an acceptable event for this item. There is also a list of events on our website that can also qualify (the student just needs to make sure that they pick an event from the list that is focused on financial aid, not another topic).
|File Size:||479 kb|
- Two Scholarship Applications. Student must complete and submit at least two scholarship applications. Scholarship opportunities are posted on the WJHS counseling website under “Senior Scholarship Bulletin.” A copy of the applications, email confirmations, or a print screen verification of the electronic submission of the applications must be included in the student portfolio.
- FAFSA4caster. The student will complete the FAFSA4caster and include a printed screen shot of the final summarization page (with any sensitive information blacked out by the student) in the student portfolio. Visit the FAFSA website and click on FAFSA4caster under the "Thinking About College?" section to access the 4caster tool. "In FAFSA4caster, you answer financial and other questions that are used to estimate your federal student aid eligibility. You may be able to answer most of the questions easily, but some of the questions may ask you to reference your personal records (for instance, your federal tax information or your bank statements). Be sure to answer all the questions on FAFSA4caster, even if you have to estimate or guess."
- High School Transcript. Student must include a copy of their high school transcript in their student portfolio. High school transcripts are available in the counseling center or in the registrar’s office through a request form.
- ACT / SAT Completion. Student must include a copy of their ACT or SAT results in their portfolio. The documentation is the complete score report from ACT or SAT (available online), not the basic scores included on the high school transcript. Get your ACT Score Report here. Get your SAT Score Report here.
- Participate in a Tour of a Possible Employer. Student tours an event like Pathways to Professions (where multiple employers come to recruit potential employees) or tours an individual employer on their own. The student will gather some kind of handout from the employer (such as a brochure), have it signed by the tour guide/recruiter, and include it in the student portfolio.
- FAFSA Completion. Student must complete a FAFSA application. Certification of a FAFSA submission to the federal government would be the inclusion of the Student Aid Report (SAR) in the student portfolio. The SAR is generally delivered via email 72 hours after submission of an electronic FAFSA. Personal information (such as income) should be redacted from the report. For more information and guidance on FAFSA submission, students should attend a FAFSA Night sponsored by WJHS (check the Counseling Center Calendar for the FAFSA Night date and time). Additional information is available in the Financial Aid section of the Counseling Center website. (seniors only)
- PSAT Completion. Student must take the PSAT examination in the fall of their junior year. A copy of the test results must be included in the student portfolio for certification. High schools administer the PSAT each October. Check with the Counseling Center or visit the Counseling Center website for information about taking the PSAT.
- UtahFutures Activity. Student must complete the “Career Cluster Inventory” assessment in UtahFutures. In order to complete the assessment, the student must be logged into their UtahFutures account. The Career Cluster Inventory is located under the Assessments tab in the application. Once the student has completed the “Traditional” assessment (80 questions), they must complete the two response fields at the bottom of the page. The answers to these two response fields must be included in the portfolio along with a screen shot or a copy & paste of their assessment results. Student should use the Sample screen shot of a completed Career Clusters Inventory provided below for guidance.
|File Size:||71 kb|
- ASVAB. The student will take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) and provide a copy of his/her results in the student portfolio. Click here for information regarding the ASVAB.
- CTE or Other Scholarship Award. Student must receive a CTE or scholarship award. Certification of this award would be the inclusion of the award letter in the student portfolio.